Technical Support for Jaksta Media Recorder
Jaksta does not record BBC radio programs
Asked by Andy @ 29 May 2016 14:05 / Views: 114
My title says it all.
Jaksta used to work just fine when recording radio programs from BBC Radio 1 and 2. Just suddenly stopped working.
Did not install any other apps or change any settings. I have tried multiple re-installs, including older versions and the latest version.
I did try it on BBC Radio 3, not that I listen to that stuff, but it did detect the program and made a recording.
From Andy @ 29 May 2016 14:05
Can you make sure you are using the latest version 1.5.0:
The next time this occurs can you send your log file to us? You can find it by clicking the Find Log File button in the Preferences.
From Ben Graham @ 07 Jun 2016 14:06
Not too sure what you mean by "The next time this occurs..." as it permanently doesn't work for BBC Radio1 or Radio 2. It did work for BBC Radio 3 the last time I tried it but that was a while ago, and I don't normally listen to Radio 3.
Anyway, I had already tried the latest version but I've re-installed it again just to make sure.
Log should be attached.
From Andy @ 07 Jun 2016 18:06
Thanks for the log file. Sorry I should have been more specific - are you able to go to a BBC Radio 1 or 2 page with Jaksta running and view a couple of programmes, then send us the log file ( assuming Jaksta does not pick them up)?
If this is already what you did then can you send us a link to a specific program or page which Jaksta does not pick up?
From Ben Graham @ 10 Jun 2016 14:06
Here's some links to shows:
From Andy @ 10 Jun 2016 19:06
Sorry for the long delay.
I was able to download a couple of the links you sent to me.
The only record of a download that I can see in your log is of the video you mentioned. I notice that you are currently in demo mode so it is cutting off the downloads after 30 seconds. Do you have an activation key or are you currently trying it out?
Can you go to Downloads tab in the Preferences and lower the minimum duration? This is designed to discard some advertisements but it may be responsible for discarding some of the videos/radio segments that you want.
Let us know how you go. I should be able to reply more quickly!
From Ben Graham @ 21 Jun 2016 13:06
I have now registered the latest version and set the minimum duration to 1 second. I have rebooted my Mac and tried downloading a few Radio1/Radio2 shows. Still nothing.
From Andy @ 21 Jun 2016 17:06
Thanks, we are still looking into this.
From Ben Graham @ 24 Jun 2016 12:06
I've got it working. Sort of. It's still going to need more input from you guys to make it work as it did before because it's pretty crappy as it currently stands.
1. It doesn't detect Radio 1 or Radio 2 shows using Firefox or Safari. It does detect them using Chrome.
2. It is hellish slow in downloading these shows. Used to be superfast.
3. When it detects a show it assigns it a cyberbabble name like "vf_b07h65qs_155ae827-b938-44d7-be4b-68cc4e1fc4ce". That is an actual name it assigned. I copied and pasted it here from Jaksta.
4. While it is downloading, if I change the name to something more useful, like "Dev 26.6.16", it is automatically changed back to the cyberbabble name as soon as the download is complete. I have to manually change it back again!
5. When it has finished downloading and I manually change the name again to something like the example I gave in 4 (above), it always adds "(1)" at the end. Why? It never used to do this.
6. Even though I have conversion selected (to mp3) it never carries out the conversion. Even if I manually select a file by right-clicking on it and selecting "Convert" it doesn't convert.
7. I tried going back to earlier versions of Jaksta to use with Chrome but they don't work at all. Don't detect the radio shows.
From Andy @ 29 Jun 2016 19:06
We have just put up a new beta version with fixes for BBC Radio:
Any luck with this one in Safari or Firefox? What about conversion?
The name is a separate issue:
1. It will probably end up with gibberish in the name if the stream has a gibberish title embedded in it. We can look into workarounds for this.
2. The renaming reverting back just sounds like a bug - I'll put in a report about this.
3. It should only put a (1) after the name if there is already a file in that folder with the same name.
Let us know how you go.
From Ben Graham @ 30 Jun 2016 14:06
I've just tried the new beta. I can't tell you if it works with Firefox or Safari as there seems to be a problem with both of those browsers not accepting Adobe Flash. I've tried to update Flash but it always fails. I'm sure that this is not the cause of my original report because back then I was able to get the BBC radio shows to play in Firefox but Jaksta did not detect them. I think that Firefox has been updated to a new version since then. Can't speak for Safari as I never use it (except for trials trying to get Jaksta to work).
Since emailing you yesterday the conversion process started working by itself. I did several downloads and then it started working (that was on the 1.5.0 version).
This beta version seems to work exactly like the 1.5.0 version. Still VERY slow and still with the cyberbabble name. So, until Adobe releases a new version of Flash I can't tell you if it'll work with Firefox or Safari.
From Andy @ 30 Jun 2016 14:06