User Guide: Jaksta Recorder for Slingbox for Windows (v5)
Configuring Jaksta Recorder for Slingbox
When you first open Jaksta Recorder for Slingbox, you'll be presented with the main screen.
You'll need to enter your Slingbox information to record. Here's how to locate your Slingbox ID and enter it into the application:
- Log in to your account on the Slingbox support site. All of the information about your Slingboxes will be displayed once you log in.
- Copy the Slingbox ID to the clipboard.
- Click the Select a Slingbox > New Slingbox menu to display the Slingbox Settings dialog.
- Name: Enter a name for the Slinhbox
- IP/Slingbox Id: Paste the ID from the clipboard
- Admin:: Check to use the admin user
- Password:: The password is the same password that you selected when setting up your Slingbox.
- Recording Settings Tab: Change these settings if you'd like a different size or quality to be recorded. Jaksta Recorder for Slingbox uses the best possible recording quality by default.
- Key Map Tab: Allows the keymap to be changed that is used to change channels.
- Be sure to disconnect your session on Slingbox.com before you attempt to connect with Jaksta Recorder for Slingbox. The two cannot be connected at the same time.
- Note: The IP/Slingbox ID field can also accept the IP address of your Slingbox. We recommend connecting with your Slingbox ID, but if you'd like to use the Private IP address and port of your Slingbox, you can do so. Separate the IP and Port with a colon like this (192.168.1.5:5001).
The SlingBox > Settings menu will display the Settings dialog and display the Library tab. You can change the following settings:
- Media Folder: This is the root folder where your media will reside.
- Thumbnails Per Page: The number of thumbnails that appear in the Library after which a "More" icon will appear. Clicking this icon will display the next page of items.
- Clear library after exit: When checked this will clear the library of all media when the application is exited. No media files will be deleted.
- Delete to recycle bin: When checked deleting an item will move it to the recycle bin. Unchecked and the file will be deleted.
- Use IE Proxy settings: When checked the application will use Internet Explorers proxy settings.
- Player/Choose based on Windows file association: When checked the player associated with the items file extensions will be used. When unchecked the Jaksta Media Player will be used. If it is not installed you will be prompted to download and install it.
Recording Live Streams
Once you've configured Jaksta Recorder for Slingbox, try recording live TV in one of these ways:
- Click the Start button to record the current channel.
- Enter a channel number, then click Start. Jaksta Recorder for Slingbox will change the remote TV to the channel number you specified.
Click Stop to end the recording.
By default, Jaksta Recorder for SlingBox will save recordings in ASF format.
Conversions are preformed by the excellent open source product ffmpeg that is distributed with all our products.
The Slingbox module contains a drop down list of preset conversion settings in the toolbar. Selecting a preset from this drop down means that any recording or conversion started after the preset is changed will be converted to that format.
Preset conversion settings are sorted by Device type, Manufacture and Format, so finding one right for you is very easy.
If you dont wish for a conversion to occur, select Dont Convert
To automatically import recorded and converted media into iTunes, select an iTunes supported conversion settings and check the Import into iTunes item at the bottom of this menu.
You have full control over the preset conversion settings and can create, delete and modify them. However as new devices and formats are released we update preset conversion settings on our servers and these are automatically downloaded when you start the application.
To create, delete or edit existing preset conversion settings select the Configure menu item from the drop down to display the Conversion Settings dialog.
- Select the preset conversion setting you wish to modify from the drop downlist
- Edit button: Will enable editing of the existing preset.
- Copy button: Will prompt you for a new preset name and create that preset.
- Delete button: Will delete the preset
- Defaults button: Will reset all presets to their default settings
For more information on the conversion settings options please refer to the FFMPEG help: http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html.
Scheduling a Recording
The application contains a sophisticated scheduler which allows you to schedule regular and unattended recordings
The scheduler takes into consideration the timezone of the source and also handles changes in daylight savings between the source and you.
The application does not need to be running when a recording is scheduled. It will automatically start.
You can configure a scheduled recording as follows:
- Slingbox: Select the configured Slingbox.
- Channel: Enter the channel or leave blank to record the current channel
- Start: The start date and time in the given TimeZone
- Duration: The duration of the recording after which time it will be stopped. -1 is no duration.
- TZ: Time zone of the start date and time. This will be used to schedule the task at the correct time on your machine. Each time a schedule task occurs the start time is updated against the timezone to take into account daylight savings changes or your machine and this TZ.
- Schedule: The days of the week on which the scheduled task will run. If you dont select days then a once off task will be created at the Start date and time.
- Convert: Select a preset conversion setting to convert to once the download is complete
You can export your schedules to a file and move them to Jaksta Recorder for Slingbox running on another machine. Use the Export/Import menu items under the Schedule menu.
Schedule Tasks are infact Windows Task Scheduler Tasks. You can edit any features that the Windows Task Scheduler supports through the Windows Task Scheduler itself.